Switching off after a long workday can be a real challenge in today’s fast-paced world. With technology making it possible to stay connected at all times, it can feel like there’s no escape from work-related stress. However, allowing employees to switch off after work is crucial for their well-being, productivity, and, therefore, for your business’s success. Here is more on the importance of after-work relaxation and how it can benefit employees and employers.
A study published in 2013 in the Journal of Occupational Health Psychology found that taking short breaks during the workday and engaging in leisure activities after work improved employee cognitive function and job performance (Fritz et al., 2013).
Additionally, three years later, the same Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology published a study that found that employees who participated in creative leisure activities outside of work had higher levels of job creativity and innovation than those who did not (Mann et al., 2016).
Many other studies found that participating in leisure activities after work was associated with lower employee stress levels and burnout. It helped companies maintain their employees’ physical and mental health, reduced fluctuation, and increased job performance. The evidence is unambiguous- it is in the best interest of employers to prioritize these activities.
In our hub, we organize after-work relaxation workshops focused on crafts and mindfulness. Here is how these activities can be beneficial.
- Help your employees reduce stress and anxiety, especially during high pressures and changes. Mindfulness practices, such as meditation, deep breathing, or engaging in crafting activities, such as embroidery, pottery, knitting, or painting, can all have a calming effect and help employees switch off.
- Boosting creativity. Crafts and mindfulness practices can stimulate creativity and boost imagination. By participating in creative activities, employees can explore new ideas and engage their brains in a way that differs from their work during the day.
- Enhancing problem-solving skills. Mindfulness and crafts can help employees sharpen their problem-solving skills. Mindfulness practices can improve the ability to think clearly and rationally while crafting activities can help employees develop problem-solving strategies and improve their critical thinking skills.
- Fostering team building and social connections. Employees can bond with one another and develop new relationships, which can help to improve overall job satisfaction and collaboration.
- Promoting work-life balance. Employees can decompress and recharge by participating in after- work activities, which can help them return to work feeling refreshed and energized.
Before-work and after-work workshops can be a part of your team building, a package of benefits, gestures for employees’ birthdays, or perhaps a New Year’s gift. Just let us know your needs, and we’ll make sure to customize our offer and help you take good care of your employees.
To find the list of currently available after-work programs, click here.